Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hanging in Hyderabad

Hello all,

So much has happened since I last sent an email. We've been doing really well in Rajahmundry. On Sunday, we had six investigators show up for sacrament meeting. Four of them are from a family that we have been teaching so much. They are a family of four that are really interested in the Gospel. They have been pretty solid with keeping commitments like reading the Book of Mormon, praying, and now coming to church. We invited them to be baptized last week and they were a little hesitant because the mother and father have already taken baptism in another church. We explained why it is important that baptism is performed by proper Priesthood Authority, but it is good that they already showed the faith to be baptized in another church. They didn't know what to do, so we invited them to pray and read and see what God tells them. I'm sure they will come around. We'll continue to visit them regularly and help them prepare for baptism. 

Elder Willis hopped on a plane to head home just the other day. It was sad to say goodbye, but he will go home and do great things. I really enjoyed being his companion. He's had so much experience as a missionary and has taught me so many things. Also, Elder Battraw has been transferred to Rajahmundry 2nd branch to be companions with Elder Patten. They will have a fun time. My new companion's name is Elder Bunga. He is from Hyderabad and is currently in Vijaywada (Near to Rajahmundry) on a special trip to find some lost members. I should meet up with him later this week.

Right now I am in Hyderabad because of a huge Hindu festival going on in Rajahmundry called Pushkaram. Thousands of people from all over the world are going there to bathe in the holy waters of the Godavary river. It's not safe for us to be there during the festival, so we all are here in Hyderabad. I'm with Elder Sharr while his companion is in Vijaywada with my compaion. It's fun to be with Elder Sharr because he trained my trainer Elder Grimmett, so he is like my grandfather. Hyderabad is crazy. It's a big city just like Bangalore. I'm pretty shocked to be here since I've basically been in a village for the past 3 months. I've seen shopping malls, nice cars, western clothing, and I've smelled some things that I haven't smelled in a long time such as perfume and Subway bread baking. It's amazing what things I didn't even notice until they are gone for a while and then suddenly come back. The weather is really great here. It's not too hot, and the humidity is not even noticeable compared to Rajahmundry. 

Sorry for the late email this week. We spend most of yesterday travelling. Today, we went to the zoo. It was nice to see some of my old friends and also some really cool animals. I figure we should take advantage of the things to do on P-day here in Hyderabad because there is not much to do in Rajahmundry. Hyderabad is a really cool place. I hope I have the chance to serve here some day.

That's all for now.  Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Thompson

A fish building in Hyderabad
Traveling to Hyderabad with Elder Lindsay

A white tiger at the zoo

Reunited in Hyderabad

Reunited

An elephant

A gorilla statue at the zoo






Hanging out on P-day

P-day

Elder Peter and Elder Thompson

Sister Deepica, Elder Battraw, Elder Thompson, and Elder Willis


No comments:

Post a Comment